Monday 18 August 2014

Review: Maybelline Color Tattoo in Permanent Taupe


Remember when these came out and where a huge thing in beauty-blogger-land? It feels like only yesterday, yet these pictures have been sitting on my laptop for months, and even then I was a little late to the party!
Maybelline Color Tattoos were originally hailed as the drugstore dupe for MAC's paint pots, which to this day are still my favourite way of priming my eye lids, making any shadow applied over the top last all day long.


The original colour range was very limited, but nowadays there are 17 shades to choose from (although I believe that 6 of those are currently unavailable in the UK), ranging from muted neutrals to shimmery brights. Even though it's been a while since their release, I still find a majority of colours are pretty much permanently sold out. (That, or perhaps my local drugstores are just really rubbish at restocking.)


One thing I really, really like about these is the packaging, which looks far more expensive than their £4.99 price tag. The glass jar presents itself very nicely and I like the writing at the bottom. The lid sits nice and secure and the product inside is easily accessible.


While I can see the similarities between Color Tattoos and MAC paint pots in the way they translate from cream to powder on the eye lids, I did find that the formula of these is a lot firmer and less creamy, making it a touch more difficult to blend out. Once they're on, however, they really do stay on. I'm not sure if they live up to their 24hr claim, as I don't wear make-up that long (does anyone?), but they certainly last all day on the lids and work even better if you blend a powder eye shadow over the top.


Another way in which these are inferior to their MAC counterparts is the way the colour goes on quite patchy, as you can see in the swatch above. From looking around other blogs I found that this seems to be an issue only with the matte shades, however, with Permanent Taupe being particularly bad. Overall, the colour looks a lot less flattering on the lids than I imagined. I'm sure there are lots of people who can really pull this one off well, but on me it just looks like the very wrong end of 90s heroin chic.

So while I'm not the biggest fan of this particular colour and insist that they're not quite as good as MAC Paint Pots, I still think that this is a great little product and I can definitely see myself picking up a different shade soon - the rose gold one in particular looks absolutely stunning!

No comments:

Post a Comment