Monday 25 November 2013

Review: St Ives Apricot Scrub for sensitive skin

The St Ives Apricot scrub is a product I used to use religiously. It's cheap, easy to get and I've always been a fan of its grainy scrubbiness, but for the last few years I've strayed and tried quite a few other exfoliators. It was during a recent trip to Boots that I felt so uninspired by all the other brands' offerings, so I decided to revisit my teenage favourite and finally dedicate it its own full length review!


Out of the five different scrubs on offer (I swear there always used to be just two), I opted for the gentle one for sensitive skin, as I remember these always being a bit rough and didn't want to overwhelm my skin. And oh boy, it's a good job I did! Now, don't get me wrong, as I'm a huge fan of those really grainy, "scrubby scrubs" that you can physically feel working on your face - and that's just what this is.


The way I use this is two to three times a week, in the mornings while I'm under the shower, as it's easier to get it all off your face once you're done if you're exfoliating in the shower. I wouldn't recommend using this on dry skin, especially if your skin is sensitive. But if, like me, you're a fan of in-shower exfoliating and find that a lot of lighter scrubs just slide off a wet face, then this is pretty much spot on as far as texture goes.


You'd be forgiven for expecting a sickly sweet apricot smell from this product, but it's actually very faint and subtle - I'd even go as far as saying too subtle, bring on the fruity scents! The packaging might not be the most luxurious, but the squeezy tube does its job, is fairly inoffensive, and light enough to pack for travel.


As far as long-term skin benefits go, this doesn't really make any otherworldly claims, other than to reveal "smooth, radiant skin". Now, I'm not sure I'd describe my post-scrub skin as extraordinarily smooth and radiant, but what it does is just get my skin really, really clean - which is just what it needs from time to time.

If you're after a luxurious pampering experience, this is not going to be for you, but I can definitely see why I used to be such a fan of this product. It's no-nonsense, nice and grainy, but without any random big sharp chunks and just gives your skin a bit of an extra clean from time to time. The 150ml in a tube last for ages and you still get change from a fiver. What's not to love?

St. Ives Gentle Apricot Scrub for sensitive skin retails at £4.29 for 150ml.

No comments:

Post a Comment